Monday, November 29, 2010

Fibro Fog and Other Mythsterious Symptoms

I've heard many people with Fibromyalgia complain about Fibro fog.  I never thought much about it, since I'm not one of those people who has it "that bad", I figured that it was something other people had to deal with, but possibly they were dealing with too many things on top of Fibro, which was robbing them of their capacity to cope.

That said, I've been on the other side of the fence too.  Everyone has had one of those days, where they go to the food store to get light bulbs, spend $100, and forget the light bulbs.  I, however, do this consistently.  I would write a list, but I'd have to remember to write it, to bring it in the car, to bring it in the store, to look at it while in the store, and to look at it again until everything was found.  That's a lot of trouble right there. 

This affects homeschooling on many fronts.  In the first place, Mom can rarely recall facts without looking things up.  Of course, this could be said to be almost a benefit, as we are teaching our children how to find answers to our questions through role modeling.  Unfortunately, Mom would have to remember the question all the way from the car to the library or home, and often it doesn't make it.  If, however, I apply the 'list' solution, I may get closer.  My grand experiment will be to keep a small notebook in the car (I have everything else in there, so why not?) so we can write our questions down. It might help some.

It doesn't take care of the real problem for me, which is the distractability issue.  I can get off topic so fast and so far that I leave people completely confused in conversations.  It's because my mind wanders on it's own path, and I just follow along like a bird after crumbs.  This is not good for homeschooling.  On the one hand, it can lead to exploring questions.  On the other hand, it can lead to not answering questions because my brain fell off the topic wagon about 5 ideas ago.  I can give an example that just happened.  I was going to show my daughter an article on a blog about how cats drink.  While trying to find the site, I decided to check out the library book club books to see if they would have something appropriate for her age group that we could do.  Got to the library site, and saw that they have e-books.  Got lost looking to see if the e-books can be read by a Kindle since I have one I got as a gift.  No, they can't, so went back to looking for book club books.  Then realized that I was looking for the article. 
How can anyone teach when they have such lack of focus?  This is ridiculous.  I find that there are times that the kids have better focus than I do, which is a good thing.  On the other hand, I also find that they know that I'm distractable, and have used this to their advantage.  I've noticed that they have skewed the conversations at times to lead to various topics or resources.  I'm ok with that.  I think the main thing is to cover the basics with rigorous curricula.  I don't worry about math.  Sometimes we change around how we use it, but we always always always have a curriculum, and we know what we need to do each day.  Maybe that's the answer for everything.  Maybe having a curriculum for every subject and just sticking to your guns is the way to go.  For us, it is with math.  For everything else, it's a grand experiment.

2 comments:

  1. I experience the same kind of distractibility myself. it can be so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really can. Most of the people around me find it as frustrating as I do. I think the key is simplicity. If we can pare down our lives and streamline as much as possible, get rid of the small things that take up so much of our time, we'll be able to focus at least more often on those things that matter.

    ReplyDelete